“If it’s not in WhenInManila.com, it probably didn’t happen!”
How did a US veteran’s travel blog become the authority on what’s cool in Manila?
Vince Golangco grew up in California and graduated from San Diego State University with a Bachelor’s degree in Communication and a minor in Business. After serving four years in the US Navy, Vince traveled around the world and ended up falling in love with his parents’ homeland. His visit to the Philippines inspired Vince to share his adventures online, first using short videos and eventually posting informative articles about the Manila lifestyle. When In Manila now has a daily average of ten million views is among the “100 Pinoy Blogs that Matter.”
What makes When In Manila even more special is how it intentionally created opportunities for creatives. While making the site grow, Vince formed an online community of hundreds of writers, photographers, videographers and storytellers. Listen to Vince share his incredible journey in this two-part interview.
In part 1 of this interview, Mike and Vince discussed the following:
- The importance of setting ambitious goals.
- How Vince answers people who ask him for blogging tips.
- Vince’s advice for non-readers. (He offers a neat and funny trick for reading more books.)
- Why Vince appreciates setbacks. The danger of taking advantage of power and status.
In part 2 of this interview, Mike and Vince discussed the following:
- How serving in the military influenced Vince’s life.
- Why multitasking is a bad idea.
- The importance of focusing on what helps you in the long-term.
- The impact of online branding. The perks of writing for When In Manila.
- How to best version of you.
Links and resources mentioned:
- Audible Audiobooks
- Who Moved My Cheese? by Spencer Johnson
- Rich Dad, Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki
- How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie
- The 4-Hour Workweek by Timothy Ferris
- How to Talk to Anyone: 92 Little Tricks for Big Success in Relationships by Leil Lowndes
- When in Manila Contribute and When in Manila FAQ : For those who want to write for When in Manila
Here are some memorable quotes from Vince and others that were mentioned in this episode.
- The greater danger for most of us lies not in setting our aim too high and falling short; but in setting our aim too low, and achieving our mark. – Michelangelo
- The man who thinks he can and the man who thinks he can’t are both right. Which one are you? – Henry Ford
- Success is when preparation meets opportunity. – Henry Hartman
- The function of leadership is to produce more leaders, not more followers. – Ralph Nader
- If you quit, it’s forever. But if you live through the pain of the moment, then you start to gain inner strength.
- With great power comes great responsibility. – Stan Lee
What’s the one thing from this interview that inspires or empowers you to go further, faster? Share it in the comment section below!