What is the secret behind being so successful in business that top corporations would make you their business consultant? What does it take to be a successful inspirational speaker? Francis J. Kong, holder of The Outstanding Filipino (TOFIL) award for 2014, shares how he came to be one of the most prominent inspirational speakers in the Philippines and sought-after business trainer and consultant.
As a businessman, Francis founded a famous garment brand and ran it successfully for 17 years, managed the local retail marketing and operations of an Italian fashion brand, formed Success Options Publishing Company and Funworks Inc., and co-founded Inspire, a leadership consultancy company. On top of this, Francis serves as business consultant for some of the country’s top business corporations. As broadcaster, his Business Matters radio program was given a special citation for Inspirational Programming by the Catholic Mass Media Awards of the Philippines, the same award-giving body that awarded Francis’s business column Best Business Column in 2009, 2010, 2013 and 2014. As a speaker and trainer, Francis averages more than 300 talks, seminars and training both here and abroad yearly. As a book author he has authored 18 books and more is yet to come.
Francis took the time from his busy schedule to share in this interview how he achieved all this success and how to deal with the obstacles.
In this episode, you will learn:
- How Francis learned an unexpected lesson in becoming a better public speaker
- How Francis best learned the life lessons he needed to succeed
- How to deal with fear and despair
- What to do when one wants to give up
- Guilty pleasures as a source of self-improvement
- How Christ is the best giver of life lessons
Resources mentioned in this episode:
Here are some words of wisdom shared by Francis in this interview.
- Change will only happen if we make change a choice.
- Be the change you want to see in the world – Gandhi
- To counter fear we have to acquire knowledge.
- Character is always developed during adversity.
- Worry is interest paid for problems before it comes due. –William Ralph Inge
- Never compromise your biggest asset, your name.
- Never let emotions rule over your reason.
- Every saint has a past, every sinner has a future. – Oscar Wilde
Join the Conversation:
It’s interesting that that Francis Kong plays a video game as a way to help him recharge or reboot himself before a task. Do you have a guilty pleasure like that? Share it with us in the comment section below.
If you liked this episode, please share it with your friends online using the buttons on the left. Please use the hashtag #WorldClassFilipino so we can like, retweet or share!