Have you had a cup of Philippine coffee? During his travels, businessman Steve Benitez enjoyed the different kinds of Philippine coffee so much that it inspired him to start his own company: Bo’s Coffee Club. Priding itself in “Being Pinoy,” Bo’s Coffee Club offers coffee lovers homegrown varieties from different parts of the archipelago. Steve, a Cebuano, opened his first coffee shop in his home city in 1996, and the business has now grown to over 50 branches nationwide. Steve firmly believes that Philippine-produced coffee has great potential and can compete in the global market.
How did Steve translate his love for coffee, traveling and the Philippines into a specialty coffee brand? Listen to this two-part interview and learn more about how passion and business can be a powerful combination.
In part 1 of this interview, Mike and Steve discussed the following:
- The secret to handling change especially for entrepreneurs.
- Steve’s biggest mistake as a novice businessman.
- Why it’s important to know your core business and strengths.
- Practices and strategies for increasing awareness.
- The danger of making emotional decisions.
In part 2 of this interview, Mike and Steve discussed the following:
- Steve’s advice about business and passion.
- Some role models for aspiring entrepreneurs. (Who are your heroes?)
- Steve’s dream for the Philippines.
- How Bo’s Coffee Club can become a global brand.
- The importance of adding value to yourself.
Here are some words of wisdom shared by Steve in this interview.
- As a young entrepreneur, you should be able to learn to say no to some of the opportunities and focus on one goal.
- We are most vulnerable when we are unaware.
- The way to get to the right answer is to ask the right questions.
- Continue building what you’re strong at, instead of spreading yourself too thinly. Don’t rush into finding your passion. If you can’t find your passion at this time, your passion will find you later on.
- If we know our history more, then we might not repeat the same mistakes over and over again.
- I don’t believe in the word ‘retirement’; even at a certain age, you can still add value to yourself and become relevant to this world.
- When you talk you are only repeating what you already know, but if you listen you may learn something. J.P. McEvoy
- The best investment you can make is in yourself.
Join the Conversation:
One of our key takeaways from this interview with Steve is the value of awareness in terms of achieving your goals. We agree that it’s easy to lose your focus if you lose awareness of your goals, your values, or your core competencies. The challenge, for most of us, is to practice awareness in our daily life. How can we do that? What can you do so you can always be “aware” of your objectives and vision? We’d love to hear your ideas below!
(And don’t forget to share this interview using our social sharing buttons on the left hand side!)