Robin Williams. Alexander McQueen.Kurt Cobain. Ernest Hemingway. What do these people have in common?
For one, they’re all considered icons in their chosen fields. Williams was an award-winning actor, McQueen was named British designer of the year for four times, Cobain was a rockstar and Hemingway was a literary genius. All of them are successful and, by all appearances, seem to be doing what they were born to do. Yet, they chose to end their lives.
Our guest for today, Marianne Mencias, may have an answer for us. A sought-after inspirational speaker, Marianne says that it’s not enough to be successful. If you’re not living true to your purpose, if you’re not following God’s will, you will still be miserable and have an unhappy life.
Marianne is also the author of the book “What’s Your Life’s Masterpiece.” Hers is a book filled with stories of world-class Filipinos who love what they do and are living a full, joyful life. What’s the key to their success? What’s the secret to their happiness? Marianne breaks it down for us in this beautiful interview filled with wisdom and practical tips on how you can become the best of you.
In this episode, you will learn:
- Why even successful people feel miserable and unhappy
- How to heal your relationships with your family and friends
- Five things that Marianne tries to do every day that makes her uniquely her
- Marianne’s advice to would-be writers
- Five things to take into consideration when making decisions
- The kind of life of that God wants everyone to have
- How the 10-30 planning method works
- The secret to being joyful and touching the lives of others.
Links and resources mentioned in this episode:
- What’s Your Life’s Masterpiece? – Marianne’s book
- Dr. Josette Biyo — Filipina who has a planet named after her
- The 5 Choices to Extraordinary Productivity by Franklin Covey
Here are some words of wisdom shared by Marianne in this interview. Share one or two that resonates best with you.
- “Don’t ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive, and go do it. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive.” – Howard Truman
- There is something in you that is meant to make the world beautiful.If you hold it in, there will be many gaps in
- If it is god’s will, it is not forced.
- Every season has a beautiful purpose that has to be enjoyed.
- If only people knew their true purpose, there’ll be so much less brokenness in the world.
- There’s a piece of God within you and it’s connected to what you love, what you’re good at.
Marianne’s vision for the country:
“I really believe that Filipinos are world-class… and every single person for that matter. But the only way to really make the impact that you’re meant to make is to be true to your design. So ask your maker, ask your manufacturer, ask God what he wants to accomplish through you and do that.”
Join the Conversation:
Marianne shared five things that make her unique and these are speaking, writing, connecting, praying and reading. We’re asking you to do the same and identify five things you do daily to help you to become the best version of you. Share it with us in the comment section below. We’re looking forward to reading your answers!
(And don’t forget to share this interview using our social sharing buttons on the left hand side!)