You know at least one person like this. This may even be you.
A person who’s going through the motions of living. Waking up every morning, dragging himself/herself to work, coming in late most of the time. Someone who’s so unmotivated that work becomes a prison he/she seeks to escape from the moment that second hand declares it’s 5PM. Someone who finds no sense of fulfillment or happiness from their career.
Our guest for today, author and motivational speaker JB Borromeo, was such a person. He used to have a lucrative job as an IT professional working for one of the top companies in the country. It was a job that offered security, stability and luxury and by all appearances, he should be happy and contented.
But JB was not happy. After five years of working 8 to 10 hours a day in a a high-stress environment, he felt that he has had enough. He needed to break free from the daily humdrum even at the risk of going broke. He left his job in search of a mission and found it in the underrated world of the academe as an educator. Now, his purpose is to help his fellow Filipinos break free from the chains of convention that bind them so that they can become the best version of themselves and live their best life.
What is it like to take in making that career change? How did JB deal with the negativity that surrounded his decision? Let’s find out in this interview.
In this interview, Mike and JB talk about:
- How to know when it’s time to make a career change
- The relatonship between passion, success and money
- How JB discovered his passion for teaching
- The best way to handle feedback and criticism from other people
- Why you need to say ‘Yes’ to new things and experiences that force you out of your comfort zone
Links and resources mentioned:
- Break free. Don’t be paralyzed by your fears and what other people will say.
- At the end of your life, you will congratulate for having the courage to follow your passion and fulfill your mission in life.
- The pains and struggles you are experiencing right now wIll be part of your success story. Keep on pursuing.
- If you want to have the best life, you have to be the best you. Click to tweet
JB’s dream for the Philippines:
“I see a nation of fulfilled people. I see a nation of Filipinos being their very best. I see a nation of greatness now emerging. I see a nation of people breaking free fulfilling that greatness, being passionate about that best life, being passionate about pursuing their mission, and helping other people.”
Take inspired action!
If money is not an issue, what career would you be in right now? Comment with your answers below and let us know why you desire this job.
We’re also asking you to please share this episode with your family and friends abroad, especially to those who have lost hope for the country. Let JB’s story inspire them to come home. You can use the buttons on the left to share it via email or social media. Don’t forget to use the hashtag #WorldClassFilipino!